The FHCM teams remain operational and mobilized to provide you with all the information and guidance you may need during this period. Your usual contacts are there to guide you, you may contact them by email.
For a general review of the measures implemented for companies in the sector, you can follow the regularly updated notes on our site.
Find out the press release concerning the Paris Fashion Week Menswear and the Haute Couture week on the following link.
Take good care of yourself.
Fashion is an endless field of expression and creativity but also an industry composing a major pole of french economy. During Paris fashion Week®, the capital becomes one of the most important financial hub.
Fashion in France accounts for:
• 150 billion € in direct sales
• 1 million jobs
• 2,7% of the French GDP generated by the fashion industry
The fashion industry, a major economic hub of the French economy (Indicators of direct activity) :
• 150 billion € in direct sales, of which 33 billion € in exports
Détail : eyewear (9)+ perfumes/cosmetics (44)+watchmaking/jewellery (8)+ Shoes and leather goods (22)+Textiles & clothing (67)
• 36 billion € of added value, representing 1,7% of the French GDP
• 580 000 in direct jobs
Detail : eyewear (44)+perfume/cosmetics (128)+ watchmaking/jewellery 31)+ Shoes and leather goods (81)+ Textiles & clothing (294)
A complete upstream-downstream pipeline
• Sales (Mds) : retail (74)+ Manufacturing (33)+wholesale (43)
• Job (a thousand) : retail (362)+wholesale (80)+manufacturing (136)
Fashion is more important than the automobile and aeronautic industries in the French economy
• Sales (Mds) : 150 (clothing) ; 102 (automobile) et 39 (aeronautic)
• Exportations (Mds) : 33 (clothing), 56 (automobile) et 19 (aeronautic)
• Percentage of GPD : 1,7 (clothing) ; 0,7 (automobile) et 0,5 (aeronautic)
Fashion industries, a major hub of the French economy (Overall weight)
• 67 billion € in added value, representing 2,7% of the GDP generated by fashion
• 1 million jobs
French companies, world leaders in fashion industries
• Fashion businesses of French companies and French-owned foreign companies generate 70 Billion Euros turnover.
• The 50 largest French companies in fashion have an export rate of 80% on average
Fashion Week, a driving force in the Parisian economy
• 1,2 billion € in economic spinoffs yearly= 440 millions Euros (Impact of fashion shows and events combined)+ 725 million Euros (Impact of trade fairs)
• Over 300 fashion shows yearly with 50% of foreign brands in the official calendar
• 27 professional trade fairs; over 14 000 exhibitors and 75% of foreign brands at the fairs
• 10,3 billion in sales figures achieved
Conclusion : The French fashion industry is characterized by an unparalleled ecosystem that unites creation and design, technical and industrial know-how, digital and management of the value chain
The true scope of the fashion industry
-Horizontal approach : several categories of activity :Textiles and clothing+Shoes and leather goods+Watchmaking+Jewellery+Fine Jewellery+Eyewear+Perfumes & cosmetics
-Vertical approach (upstream-downstream): creation, manufacturing, wholesale and retail
-Inclusion of direct activity…
-And of the indirect effects of this activity :
• Creation of added value for service providers of the fashion industry such as media, communications, advertising, transport and logistics…
• Creation of added value generated by income distributed amongst employees within the fashion industry
Which sources has IFM mobilized to lead this study on fashion industries?
– Data from the NAF nomenclature
– INSEE accounts and surveys, particularly ESANE, trading accounts. Input-output tables (IOTs) and inter-industrial exchange tables from national accounts for the inclusion of indirect activity
– Customs statistics
– Annual company reports and data from the DIANE “company” database