In June 2016 Institut Français de la Mode and Ecole de la Chambre Syndicale de la Couture Parisienne announced a strategic partnership to create a brand new fashion school, which ambitions to be acknowledged as one of the very top schools worldwide within the next five years, both in fashion design and in fashion management. The new school will bear the name “Institut Français de la Mode”.
Creating this new Institut Français de la Mode endeavors to meet the strong ambitions of the sector’s businesses and public authorities, up to the highest levels of the French State. The partnership aims to turn Paris into the world’s focal point for fashion education, and to link culture, technical savoir-faire, creativity and mastering of technology.
– Meeting the needs of the business – current and latent – and anticipating future developments
– Greatly enhancing skills in all of fashion’s key job lines and at all levels of the industry
– Placing culture at the heart of the curriculum
– Bridging the gap between creativeness, management and technology
– Integrating sustainability in teaching methods and tools (environment, CSR)
On January 8th 2019 was officialy launched the new Institut Français de la Mode, in attendance of Bruno Le Maire, Ministre de l’Economie et des Finances.
The Institut Français de la Mode is happy union of the IFM and the Chambre Syndicale de la Couture Parisienne, announced in june 2016. Deeply invested in creation, committed to companies and acting globally, both schools influenced the fashion world in their own way. The ECSCP have impersonated French excellence since 1927 and the IFM has been a pioneer in fashion management degree since 1986. Today, their union offers Paris a brand new school to shape tomorrow’s fashion talents, open and visionary.
« It’s not just about adding two entities but about building an offer of excellence enhanced with three pillars: creation, management and know-how. Thus, we will reinforce French fashion leadership”, explained André Beirnaert, the IFM President.
The Institut Français de la Mode now offers programs ranging from CAP to PhD, gathering under the same roof creation, management and know how. Its goal is to provide France with a school able to be a global reference.
“The union of the Ecole de la Chambre Syndicale et de l’IFM provides Paris with a school which ambition is to establish itself as the best fashion school in the world, relying on a unique trio management, technics and creation, ranging from CAP to Thesis, including Bachelor and Master Degree, settled in a new innovative and open site, actively promoting social diversity, and at the forefront in terms of technologie and sustainable development” said Ralph Toledano, the Fédération de la Haute Couture et de la Mode president.
Mindful of encouraging diversity and equal opportunities and promoting research and educational innovation, the Institut Français de la Mode announces the creation of a foundation backed by the Fondation de France. The goal of the Fondation Institut Français de la Mode is to support any kind of project enabling social diversity through a grants system for students and the development of research and teaching chairs.
Supporting the industry’s major evolutions by nurturing new types of professionals. To that end, attracting the finest talents in France, Europe and the world.
The new Institut Français de la Mode will be offering as of September 2019:
– Two new programs in fashion design at Bachelor’s and Master’s levels
– Programs in fashion management and entrepreneurship at Master’s and EMBA levels
– A PhD track in partnership with University Paris 1 Panthéon-Sorbonne
– Vocational programs in couture dressmaking and tailoring
– Sandwich courses in couture and patternmaking
– Executive education courses in fashion savoir-faire and fashion management
– Summer school programs for high-school and university level students
– An accelerator for promising fashion labels
– And Economic Observatory producing studies about the fashion industry
– A Research department offering an academic review, publications and conferences
– A library acknowledged as one of the most comprehensives for fashion in Paris
By autumn 2020, all the Institut Français de la Mode programs will move in the Docks- Cité de la Mode et du Design – in a 8000m2 utterly redesigned, in order to soon welcome 1000 students, more than 3000 executives in formation and an academic and applied research activity.
For more information, see the Institut Français de la Mode website.
The new school will unite all of its activities under one roof at Cité de la Mode et du Design in Paris as of 2020.